Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Information for EU and EEA citizens

Information for EU and EEA citizens

Applying for a unibz study programme as a European Union or a European Economic Area citizen (including Switzerland) is not difficult at all. You only need to follow the instructions on this page and you will be able to start or continue your studies at unibz. Please note that if you are an Italian, German or Austrian citizen, you should check the specific pages.

Language requirements

In order to gain admission to any unibz study programme, languages are the first requirement you need to fulfil. Check the specific language requirements on the programmes’ pages and upload a recognised language certificate or enrol in a language exam at unibz. If your secondary or higher education was in English, our Language Centre will recognise a C1 in English.

Applying for a bachelor programme

You need to have a qualification that is equivalent to the Italian secondary school diploma and that has been or will be obtained at the end of at least 12 years of secondary education. If the length of your secondary education cycle is less than 12 years, then the regulations set by the Italian Ministry of University and Research apply.

If in your home country an aptitude test is required to gain access to higher education, you will need to include the results of that test when applying to our University. For some qualifications (e.g. Greek qualifications), the Italian Ministry of University and Research has set specific admission criteria.

You will have to provide a Statement of Correspondence which you can download free-of-charge from the ARDI (Automatic Recognition Database - Italy) to prove that your qualification gives you access to the Italian higher education system. 

Get in touch with our Advisory Service if you have any question.

Applying for a master programme

You can check which qualifications are required for admission in the page of the master programme in which you are interested. You can apply either with a Diploma Supplement issued by your home university, or, in case you don't have a Diploma Supplement, with a Statement of corrispondence which you can download free-of-charge from the ARDI (Automatic Recognition Database - Italy).

Checklist for your successful Application

  1. Apply online, following the guidelines detailed at the end of programme's page.
  2. If you see your name in the list of the admitted students, pay the first instalment of the tuition fees to secure your admission.
  3. If you have not submitted all the required documents, you will need to submit them by the enrolment deadline.
  4. Enrol and come to South Tyrol in time for the new semester start.

Your First Days in South Tyrol

After you have enrolled, you will need to follow a few steps in order to organise your life in South Tyrol.

Scholarships and financial help

Students can apply for an income-based study grant to the Ufficio per il diritto allo studio universitario. The grants vary between €1,680 and €6,960 per year. If students obtain a study grant, they will also get a refund of the tuition fees. The student association sh.asus helps students with the application for this type of grant.

Those who, after the first year, get an average grade of 27/30 for their exams, are eligible to apply for scholarships based on merit rather than income.

Foreign students can also apply for scholarships funded by the Ministero degli Affari Esteri (MAE, the Italian Foreign Office).