Skip to content

Free University of Bozen-Bolzano

Information for German and Austrian citizens

Information for German and Austrian citizens

Applying for a unibz study programme as a German or Austrian citizen is not difficult at all. You only need to follow the instructions on this page and you will be able to start or continue your studies at unibz.

Language requirements

In order to gain admission to any unibz study programme, languages are the first requirement you need to fulfil. Check the specific language requirements on the programmes’ pages and upload a recognised language certificate or enrol in a language exam at unibz. If your secondary education was in German, our Language Centre will recognise a C1 in German. If your school reports also contain information on other language levels, the Language Centre will recognise them if and only if the school reports state that the levels of proficiency have been reached according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

Applying for a bachelor programme

The German Abitur and the Austrian Matura are accepted qualifications to study at unibz. As a general thing, the Student Secretariat will recognise them automatically. In some rare cases, some further documentation could be required. Get in touch with our Advisory Service if you have any question.

Applying for a master programme

You can check which qualifications are required for admission in the page of the master programme in which you are interested. You can apply either with a Diploma Supplement issued by your home university, or, in case you don't have a Diploma Supplement, with a Statement of corrispondence which you can download free-of-charge from the ARDI (Automatic Recognition Database - Italy).

Checklist for your successful Application

  1. Apply online, following the guidelines detailed at the end of the programme's page.
  2. If you see your name in the list of the admitted students, pay the first instalment of the tuition fees to secure your admission.
  3. Enrol and come to South Tyrol in time for the new semester start.

Your First Days in South Tyrol

After you have enrolled, you will need to follow a few steps in order to organise your life in South Tyrol.

Scholarships and financial help

Students can apply for an income-based study grant to the Ufficio per il diritto allo studio universitario. The grants vary between €1,680 and €6,960 per year. If students obtain a study grant, they will also get a refund of the tuition fees. The student association sh.asus helps students with the application for this type of scholarship.

Those who, after the first year, get an average grade of 27/30 for their exams, are eligible to apply for scholarships based on merit rather than income.

Foreign students can also apply for scholarships funded by the Ministero degli Affari Esteri (MAE, the Italian Foreign Office).

If you are a German student, you can apply for the so called Auslands-BAföG made available by the German Ministry of Education (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung), to finance your studies if the entire study programme is being done abroad.

If you are an Austrian student, you can apply, for a grant from the Austrian Studienbeihilfenbehörde organisation to finance your studies abroad.